Are you feeling the need to renovate your cherry kitchen space? It’s a great way to update your current décor, improve its functionality, and add value to your home. Updating an existing kitchen can seem like a daunting task – especially when it comes to choosing materials and finishes that are both practical and aesthetically pleasing. But rest assured – these key design elements don’t have to be laborious or expensive; rolling up your sleeves, doing some research, and making smart choices will help ensure that updating your cherry kitchen is as effortless as possible. Read on for creative ideas on How to Update a Cherry Kitchen
Step 1: Plan and visualize the desired outcome
Take some time to plan and envision how you want your updated cherry kitchen to look. Create a mood board with images and colors that inspire you. Consider the size of your kitchen, existing cabinetry, and any other unique features in the room – this will help you determine which elements need to be updated or replaced.
Step 2: Choose new materials & finishes
Once you have an idea of what kind of look you’re going for, it’s time to select materials and finishes for your cherry kitchen update.
- Look for materials that are both beautiful and durable – think solid wood cabinets, granite countertops, porcelain tiles for the backsplash, stainless steel appliances, etc.
- Additionally, if budget allows, consider adding custom touches such as crown molding and decorative trim pieces to really elevate the space.
Consider factors such as the color scheme, style, and overall aesthetic you want to achieve. This will help guide your decision-making process throughout the update.
Step 3: Evaluate the existing kitchen
Assess the current condition of your cherry kitchen. Look for any areas that need repair or replacement, such as worn-out cabinets, outdated hardware, or damaged countertops. If you find any issues, this is a great opportunity to address them and take care of any necessary maintenance.
Step 4: Update the cabinets
One of the most impactful changes you can make to update a cherry kitchen is to update or refinish the cabinets. If the cabinets are in good condition but outdated, you can simply refinish them with a new stain or paint. This can dramatically change the look of the kitchen. If the cabinets are worn or damaged, consider replacing them with new cherry cabinets or opting for a different wood type or finish.
Step 5: Replace or upgrade hardware
Updating the hardware, such as handles, knobs, and pulls, can make a significant difference in the overall appearance of your kitchen. Choose hardware that complements the new style you have in mind. Consider options like brushed nickel, stainless steel, or matte black for a modern look, or go with brass or antique finishes for a more traditional or rustic style. Overall:
- Consider replacing the old cabinet hardware with new knobs, handles, or pulls to give the cabinets a fresh look. Choose hardware that complements the updated style of your kitchen.
- Measure the distance between the screw holes of the existing hardware to ensure the new hardware aligns properly. Use the screws provided with the new hardware to attach them to the cabinet doors and drawers.
Step 6: Refresh the countertops
Cleaning the counters:
- Begin by cleaning the counters thoroughly to eliminate any dirt, grime, or stains. Use a gentle cleanser that is appropriate for your countertop material.
- If you’re confused about which cleaner to use, examine the manufacturer’s instructions or use a mild dish soap and warm water solution.
Examine the situation:
- Examine the state of your countertops. Determine whether they need to be repaired, resurfaced, or completely replaced.
- If the countertops are in good shape and merely require a cosmetic refresh, go to the next stages. Otherwise, consider hiring an expert to fix or replace the item.
(Optional) Apply a fresh coat of paint:
- If you have laminate countertops or a non-porous surface, you can consider painting them for a new look.
- Clean the countertops thoroughly and sand them lightly to create a better surface for paint adhesion.
- Apply a primer specifically designed for your countertop material and follow it with a coat of paint in your desired color or finish. Use paint that is specifically formulated for countertops.
- Allow the paint to dry completely according to the manufacturer’s instructions.
Install new countertop coverings (optional):
- Another option to refresh the countertops is to install new coverings, such as adhesive vinyl, peel-and-stick tiles, or contact paper.
- Clean the countertops and ensure they are dry before applying the new covering.
- Follow the manufacturer’s instructions for the specific covering you choose, as application methods may vary.
Seal natural stone countertops (if applicable):
- If you have natural stone countertops like granite or marble, it’s crucial to seal them periodically to maintain their beauty and protect against stains.
- Clean the countertops thoroughly and make sure they are completely dry before applying the sealer.
- Follow the instructions provided with the sealer, applying it evenly to the surface of the countertops. Allow sufficient drying time before using the countertops again.
Enhance with decorative accents:
- After refreshing the countertops, add decorative accents to enhance the overall look of your kitchen.
- Place decorative items such as potted plants, a decorative fruit bowl, or kitchen accessories that complement your kitchen’s style and color scheme.
- Avoid cluttering the countertops to maintain a clean and organized appearance.
Step 7: Upgrade the backsplash
Updating the backsplash can add a pop of color and texture to your cherry kitchen. There are numerous options to choose from, including subway tile, mosaic tile, ceramic tile, or even a natural stone backsplash.
If you’re looking for an easy and budget-friendly option, consider using peel-and-stick tile or contact paper. This can be a great way to update the look of your kitchen without breaking the bank.
Consider the color scheme of the kitchen and select a backsplash that complements the overall design.
Step 8: Update lighting fixtures
Consider updating the lighting fixtures in your cherry kitchen to enhance both functionality and aesthetics. Install new pendant lights above the kitchen island or dining area, replace outdated overhead fixtures, and add task lighting under cabinets to improve visibility and create a warm ambiance. And if you want to know details, here it is:
To update the lighting fixtures in your cherry kitchen, follow these steps:
1. Assess the existing lighting:
- Evaluate the current lighting in your cherry kitchen, including overhead lights, task lights, and accent lights.
- Determine what aspects of the lighting need updating or improvement based on functionality and design.
2. Plan the new lighting layout:
- Consider the different areas of your kitchen that require lighting, such as the cooking area, dining area, and countertops.
- Decide on the type of lighting fixtures that will best suit each area, such as recessed lights, pendant lights, track lights, or under-cabinet lights.
- Plan the positioning of the fixtures, ensuring they provide adequate illumination and complement the overall design of your updated kitchen.
3. Choose the new lighting fixtures:
- Select lighting fixtures that align with your desired style and functionality.
- Consider the finish and design of the fixtures, keeping in mind the existing elements in your cherry kitchen.
- Ensure that the fixtures provide the appropriate brightness for their intended purpose.
4. Hire a professional (if necessary):
- If you’re not experienced with electrical work, consider hiring a licensed electrician to handle the installation of new lighting fixtures.
- A professional will ensure that the wiring is done correctly and safely, following all building codes and regulations.
5. Install new overhead lights:
- Turn off the power supply to the kitchen lighting circuit at the main electrical panel.
- Remove the existing overhead lighting fixtures carefully, following the manufacturer’s instructions.
- Install the new overhead lights according to the manufacturer’s guidelines, ensuring secure mounting and proper electrical connections.
- Test the lights to verify they are working correctly before moving on.
6. Add task lighting:
- Install task lighting in specific areas where additional illumination is required, such as above the kitchen island, under cabinets, or near the stove.
- Depending on the chosen fixtures, you may need to drill holes, mount brackets, or secure the lights using adhesive or clips.
- Connect the wiring according to the manufacturer’s instructions, ensuring proper grounding and safety measures.
7. Install accent lighting:
- Consider incorporating accent lighting to highlight certain features or create ambiance in your cherry kitchen.
- Install accent lights, such as recessed lights or LED strips, in strategic locations like display shelves, above cabinets, or toe-kick areas.
- Connect the accent lighting to a separate switch or dimmer control to allow for customized lighting effects.
Step 9: Add new appliances
If you have the budget, consider replacing outdated appliances with newer models that are more energy-efficient and feature modern designs. This is an excellent way to add value to your home and make it stand out from the rest. Select stainless steel or black stainless steel for a sleek, contemporary look that never goes out of style.
Finally, enjoy your cherry kitchen! With these tips, you’ll be able to transform your kitchen into a beautiful and functional space where you can cook, entertain, and relax with friends and family. Best of luck!
Step 10: Add finishing touches
Complete the update by adding finishing touches to the kitchen. This includes adding new window treatments, updating the flooring (if desired), incorporating decorative accents like artwork or plants, and organizing and decluttering the space.
Remember to take measurements, seek professional help if needed (especially for electrical or plumbing work), and ensure that all updates comply with local building codes and regulations. Enjoy the process of updating your cherry kitchen and creating a space that reflects your style and preferences.
Conclusion: How to Update a Cherry Kitchen
To conclude, revamping your kitchen does not have to be expensive or difficult when done strategically. All you need is a little bit of creativity and a few touch-ups! With our listed tips such as considering a fresh coat of paint, upgrading to a modern backsplash, investing in some new hardware, installing brighter light fixtures, expanding counter space, and adding greenery, you will be well on your way to transforming the look of your cooking oasis. So start gathering materials for the next project and spice up your kitchen space! You will be sure to enjoy it for many years to come.
Should I update the countertops in my cherry kitchen?
Updating the countertops can have a significant impact on the overall look of your cherry kitchen. Consider materials like granite, quartz, or butcher block that complement the cherry cabinets and your desired style.
Can I update the cherry kitchen on a tight budget?
Yes, it’s possible to update a cherry kitchen on a tight budget. Focus on smaller changes such as painting the cabinets, updating hardware, adding a backsplash, or changing the lighting fixtures. These updates can refresh the space without breaking the bank.
What flooring options work well with a cherry kitchen?
Flooring options that pair nicely with a cherry kitchen include hardwood floors in lighter tones, such as oak or maple, or ceramic tiles in neutral colors. These choices can provide a pleasing contrast to the warmth of the cherry cabinets.
Should I update the appliances in my cherry kitchen?
Updating the appliances can give your cherry kitchen a modern and cohesive look. Consider stainless steel appliances for a sleek appearance or choose appliances that match the overall color scheme of your updated kitchen.
Can I update the cherry kitchen without changing the layout?
Yes, you can update a cherry kitchen without altering the layout. Focus on cosmetic changes such as cabinet refinishing, new hardware, lighting updates, and replacing countertops or backsplash. These changes can breathe new life into the existing layout.
How long does it take to update a cherry kitchen?
The duration of a cherry kitchen update can vary depending on the scope of the project and whether you hire professionals. It can take anywhere from a few days to several weeks, considering factors such as cabinet refinishing, countertop installation, and other updates.
Do I need professional help to update my cherry kitchen?
It depends on the complexity of the updates and your DIY skills. While some updates like painting cabinets or replacing hardware can be done by homeowners, tasks like countertop installation or electrical work may require professional assistance. Assess your capabilities and consider consulting experts when necessary.
Debra has extensive studies in art history and period styles, design and cooking. She also has a background in construction, electricity, plumbing, and cabinet installation and the mechanics to provide the knowledge necessary to assist her clients in creating their perfect, functional kitchen.